2 courgettes, diced (or cut into rounds and each round into quarters)
1 medium aubergine, skin on, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 onion diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
4 fresh large basil leaves, torn
50ml olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· If you’re using the oven method, pre-heat to 190c/375F/Gas mark 5.
· Once you’ve chopped up all the vegetables and herbs, place them in a large bowl.
· Add the olive oil and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
· Tear off 4 large pieces of foil and fold them into 4 big squares.
· Divide your vegetable mixture between the tin foil pieces and fold up the foil tightly, scrunching it together to seal the parcels.
You want the vegetables to be fully enclosed with no holes or open seams, so they can lightly steam cook. If you need to, wrap more foil around the parcels to secure them.
· Place each package onto a baking tray and place in the oven to cook for 20 - 25 minutes. Once cooked, remove them from the oven and set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
· Or, if you have adult assistance beside a campfire, use tongs to gently place the parcels into the outer edges of the fire. You want them in enough heat to cook the vegetables but not in direct flame. Cook for 10-15 minutes using the tongs to give them a gentle shake every now and then. Once cooked, again use the tongs to remove the packages and set aside until they are cool enough to handle
· Carefully, with adult supervision, use scissors to cut open the top of the parcels, (watch out as the escaping steam will be hot) and serve.