CORNISH SEASIDE SPAGHETTI
(I make this with Cornish sausages by the seaside - but you can use any sausages you like and make it anywhere!)
6 pork sausages
2tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
¼ tsp chilli flakes
3tbsp roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
200ml chicken stock
100g crème fraiche
2 lemons, zest of 1 and juice of 2
· Heat a large saucepan of salted water to cook your pasta
· Using kitchen scissors, carefully snip along the length of the sausages to cut their skins open. Remove the meat and crumble into a bowl. Discard the skins. Remember to always wash your hands and any equipment after contact with raw meat.
· Heat a sauté pan and add the oil, once hot add the onion, garlic and chilli flakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes to soften.
· Next add half the parsley and all the sausage meat. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring to break up the sausage meat and help it cook.
· Add the chicken stock and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half and the sausage meat is cooked through.
· Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and crème fraiche and cook for a further 2 minutes.
· Once the large saucepan of salted water is boiling add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions - normally between 8 to 12 minutes.
· Once cooked, drain the pasta from the water (get an adult to help as a hot pan of heavy water is not easy to handle safely).
· Add the cooked pasta straight to the pan of delicious sausage sauce and mix through.
· Divide into serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.